Friday, September 16, 2011

The 12 Days of Eighth Grade


My daughter's school sends out a list of suggested supplies every summer. It's a nice gesture, and in theory it should make things easier on the middle school moms.

But, this year (as in virtually all years past), the list was not as comprehensive as we would have hoped. Unanticipated items (and unexpected trips to Staples, CVS, Target and the like) have been pretty much a daily occurrence.

Some are requests from individual teachers, some are the latest fad that somehow emerged over the summer, some are just life's little necessities when you're thirteen going on grownup.

Here's what I'm talking about ...

On the first day of eighth grade my daughter told me, "Yo, I need $5 for a Frappuccino."

On the second day of eighth grade my daughter told me "Yo, I need two more loose leaf notebooks and $5 for a Frappuccino."

On the third day of eighth grade my daughter told me "Yo, I need three pairs of gym shorts, two loose leaf notebooks and $5 for a Frappuccino."

On the fourth day of eighth grade my daughter told me "Yo, I need four smelly markers, three pairs of gym shorts, two loose leaf notebooks and $5 for a Frappuccino."

On the fifth day of eighth grade my daughter told me "Yo, I need five Post-it pads, four smelly markers, three gym shorts, two loose leaf notebooks and $5 for a Frappuccino."

On the sixth day of eighth grade my daughter told me "Yo, I need six book covers, five Post-it pads, four smelly markers, three gym shorts, two loose leaf notebooks and $5 for a Frappuccino."

On the seventh day of eighth grade my daughter told me "Yo, I need seven friendship bracelets, six book covers, five Post-it pads, four smelly markers, three gym shorts, two loose leaf notebooks and $5 for a Frappuccino."

On the eighth day of eighth grade my daughter told me "Yo, I need eight permission slips signed, seven friendship bracelets, six book covers, five Post-it pads, four smelly markers, three gym shorts, two loose leaf notebooks and $5 for a Frappuccino."

On the ninth day of eighth grade my daughter told me "Yo, I need nine Japanese erasers, eight permission slips signed, seven friendship bracelets, six book covers, five Post-it pads, four smelly markers, three gym shorts, two loose leaf notebooks and $5 for a Frappuccino."

On the tenth day of eighth grade my daughter told me "Yo, I need ten Fruit Roll-Ups, nine Japanese erasers, eight permission slips signed, seven friendship bracelets, six book covers, five Post-it pads, four smelly markers, three gym shorts, two loose leaf notebooks and $5 for a Frappuccino."

On the eleventh day of eighth grade my daughter told me "Yo, I need eleven horse-shaped Silly Bandz, ten Fruit Roll-Ups, nine Japanese erasers, eight permission slips signed, seven friendship bracelets, six book covers, five Post-it pads, four smelly markers, three gym shorts, two loose leaf notebooks and $5 for a Frappuccino."

On the twelfth day of eighth grade my daughter told me "Yo, I need twelve Ticonderoga pencils, eleven horse Silly Bandz, ten Fruit Roll-Ups, nine Japanese erasers, eight permission slips signed, seven friendship bracelets, six book covers, five Post-it pads, four smelly markers, three gym shorts, two loose leaf notebooks ...

and $5 for a Frappucino."




No comments:

Post a Comment