Thursday, November 24, 2011

A Mother's Thanksgiving


I'm the mother of a tween and today I am thankful ...

I'm thankful that you still climb on my lap once in a while. Usually at a really inopportune time, like when I'm at my desk on a conference call. But, I'm still thankful for it.

I'm thankful for your recent report card.

I'm thankful that in fourteen years, we only had to go to the pediatric emergency room once — and we were out again in under an hour.

I'm thankful every time I see you draw or write or hold a fork in your left hand because you remind me of my father. He never got to meet you but I know wherever he is, he's proud of his first granddaughter.

I'm thankful that you clean up so well.

I'm thankful that you defend your friends from cafeteria bullies.

I'm thankful every time I watch you in an equestrian event. I'm thankful when you get a good score on your dressage test. I'm thankful when you get a clean round in stadium jumping. I'm thankful when you perform well cross-country. (Mostly, I'm thankful when you don't fall off the horse.)

I'm thankful that you're kind to younger children.

I'm thankful that you're kind to older grandparents.

I'm thankful that you humor me when I tell you there's a movie that you'll simply love or a book you simply have to read. (I'm especially thankful when you end up agreeing with me.)

I'm thankful that you friended me on Facebook.

I'm thankful that you are growing up in this time in this place. Although there are many things wrong with our country right now, I don't worry about a bomb falling on our house or that you'll die of a preventable disease. I value our freedoms and the protection we are afforded. And, I believe that you and your generation have the power to make the world you're inheriting a better place.

I'm thankful that you sometimes, occasionally, once-in-a-blue-moon, make your bed without my nagging you.

I'm thankful for your pretty hair, your lovely figure, your green eyes, your warm smile. I'm thankful that you're strong and healthy.

I'm thankful for your sensitivity and your sense of justice. I'm thankful that when these qualities cause you to feel a slight more deeply than others do, your sadness is usually short-lived. I'm thankful for your resilience and your optimism.

I'm thankful for your sense of humor. I don't always get it, but I'm thankful for it.

More than anything else, I'm thankful that you chose me. That you came into my life and changed it forever. I honestly don't know who or what or where I'd be without you.

Happy Thanksgiving, my darling daughter. Happy Happy Happy Thanksgiving.

Can you go make your bed now?


No comments:

Post a Comment