Monday, June 10, 2013

FAQs

"If love is the answer, could you please rephrase the question?" 
... Lily Tomlin

Many philosophers have stressed the value in questioning (often, asserting that there's more value in questioning than in answering). Socrates, Shakespeare, Sigmund Freud, Woody Allen. 

If these geniuses weren't enough, there's a whole game show that answers answers with questions. 

"I'll take obscure knitting terms for $500, Alex. What is a channel island cast-on?"

I have a lot of questions these days. It's my own personal — and growing — list of FAQs. Unfortunately, I don't have a help desk, here or offshore, and no one is offering me prize money. So, I'm stuck wondering. 

Here are some of the questions going through my mind even as I blog ...

Does my teenage daughter really need more shorts?

Does she really need more shirts?

Does she really need more socks, more jeans, more shoes?


Is there any way I can retire at 65? How about 60? (How about 51?)

Does anyone really think LMFAO is sexy (whether they know it or not)?

Why is my daughter always hungry when we have ice cream in the house?

Why is she never hungry when we have fruit?

How will we survive sophomore year?

And junior year?

And senior?

How come I can remember every word from every song on Meatloaf's "Bat Out of Hell," but I can't remember what I went to the grocery store for?

Will my vision keep getting worse?

If Superman has x-ray vision and closes his eyes, can he still see?

Whatever happened to Bobby Sherman? (Who cares about Baby Jane?)

Is it too late to start over?

Is it too soon?

Why?

Why not?

Why do we say people are in a play but on TV?


How are things in Glocca Morra?

How are things in North Korea?


Where did I put that thing we need for the other thing we had that time?

How can something be dry cleaning fluid?

Why is Jimmy short for James when it has the same number of letters?

How did I get here?

and, most puzzling of all ...

What happened to my waist?

No comments:

Post a Comment