Thursday, May 12, 2016

Moby Dress — The Hunt For The Elusive White

My teenage daughter will graduate from high school one month from today. 

One. Month. From. Today.

(Can you tell that I'm freaking out?)

Between now and then, we have to negotiate Senior Project, Senior Prom, the Senior White Water Rafting Trip, Senior Banquet, Senior Awards, and then, finally, Graduation. We need to get her prom dress altered (temporarily shortened; it's  a loaner from dear family friends who are taller than my child). We need to schedule hair and nail and miscellaneous other appointments. We need to buy, borrow or in some other way secure the appropriate bling.

And, apparently, we need to find a white dress.

I questioned this at first. The "refrigerator letter" we received from the school (which was reinforced via email, snail-mail and a "mandatory meeting") encouraged girls to wear "dresses or skirts." Being a silk pants gal myself, this ruffled me a bit. Regardless, it didn't specify color — and that's saying something given that it was essentially five pages of very specific specifics. 

"Why white?" I asked, picturing all of the hardly ever or even never-worn dresses in her closet.

"Duh," she replied. "That's what graduation dresses are. White."

Okay, then.

You've probably already guessed that not one of the aforementioned hardly ever or even never-worn dresses in her closet is white. 

Of course not.

So, suddenly, we are on yet another mother-daughter quest. I readily agreed to this one, though, because I foresee a future in which our shopping trips will be few and far between. I cleared my schedule and we set out early. The plan was to hit the closest mall, find a dress and be home in time for her to drive a younger rider to the stable for afternoon lessons.

Our first stop was Burlington Coat Factory. (My sister, a New York-based actress, always does well there for audition clothes.) It's only a couple of miles past the mall, and I figured if we struck the jackpot, we might be able to avoid the mall altogether.

Sure enough, there were tons of white dresses! We found six or eight (or maybe it was ten) and she headed to the dressing room. The dresses were all similar, sleeveless, short, with A-line or "fit and flare" skirts, cotton knit with crocheted lace overlays.

I stood outside the dressing room and waited.


"Um ... Mom?"

"How is it?" I asked.

She reluctantly stepped out. "I look like Little House on the Prairie."


Now, I don't think she's ever seen Little House on the Prairie. I know she stopped reading the series about a quarter of the way through the first book, Little House in the Big Woods, because Pa butchered a pig.

Yet, the dress assessment was dead-on.

"Next!" I told her.

Unfortunately, the next one and the next — and the next, the next and next, next, next — were equally frumpy. I couldn't decide whether they were continuing the Ingalls Wilder look or if we had moved into Sister Wives territory. All she needed was taller hair so she could be closer to God.

We abandoned ship and went to the mall.

If nothing else, we were thorough and efficient. Macy's, American Eagle, J. Crew, Forever 21, Pac Sun, Hollister, Nordstrom, even J.C. Penney ... you name it, we hunted for that elusive white dress. Alas, no go. Most of them were just as frowsy as the first set. One or two were a little less shapeless, but that meant they were too tight to move.
 
So, we're doing what any self-respecting digital-age mother-daughter team would do. We're ordering white dresses online. Multiple white dresses. We'll return what doesn't work. 

But, the whole adventure made me wonder. Was this some sort of statement about young women's roles. Not virgin vs. whore so much. More like Laura Ingalls vs. Miley Cyrus. 

Neither really fit my daughter's personality.

And, I have no problem with that.


If you've enjoyed this post, I invite you to order the book Lovin' the Alien here.     
 

6 comments:

  1. TESTIMONY TESTIMONY TESTIMONY Hello friends!!! My name is Jeff Chandler. I want to testify of the good Loan Lender who showed light to me after been scammed by 3 different Internet international lender, they all promise to give me a loan after making me pay a lot of fees which yield nothing and amounted to no positive result. I lost my hard earn money and it was a total of $1,000.00. One day I was browsing through the internet looking frustrated when I came across a testimony of a woman who was also scammed and eventually got linked to a legit loan company called mr peter Loan Company and where she finally got her loan, so I decided to contact the same loan company and then told them my story on how I have been scammed by 3 different lenders who did nothing but to cause me more pain. I explain to the company by whattsApp (+2349063879939) you can also Email the company on their Email Address on (peterloanfirmcompany112@gmail.com (mailto:peterloanfirmcompany112@gmail.com)) and all they told me was to cry no more because I will get my loan in their company and also I have made the right choice of contacting them. I filled the loan application form and proceeded with all that was requested of me and to my greatest astonishment I was given a loan amount of $580,000.00 US Dollars at a very low interest rate of 4% by this great Company. if there is anyone who is also in need of an urgent loan should kindly whattsapp this great loan company offers on (+2349063879939) or kindly email them. (peterloanfirmcompany112@gmail.com (mailto:peterloanfirmcompany112@gmail.com)) managed by mr peter loan a God fearing man and here I am today happy because this company has given me a loan so I made a vow to my self that I will keep testifying on the internet on how I got my loan. Do you need a loan urgently? kindly and quickly contact This great company now for your loan via whattsApp +2349063879939. or Email (peterloanfirmcompany112@gmail.com (mailto:peterloanfirmcompany112@gmail.com)) and share your own testimony thanks. Peter loan company offers is a great company and they are the only loan lender who can offers you loan without collateral others are fraud. Mr peter is a very good and kind man he is a God fearing man And i believe God has sent him to come and help us so any one who is really in need of an urgent loan should contact him own and get your instant loan thanks once again. contact him on (+2349063879939). OR Email him on (peterloanfirmcompany112@gmail.com (mailto:peterloanfirmcompany112@gmail.com)) and celebrate by sharing your own great testimony too do not lose this great opportunity thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys have surpassed my expectations! James is seriously amazing and is doing everything to help my Fiancé and me, in1weeks my credit score went up 700 points and I can only imagine what is to come. Thank you for the excellent customer service and doing exactly what you all have set out to do! NO GIMMICKS OR BS with you guys.They carry out any kind of hacks You can reachout to them via Hackintechnology@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. An hacker helped me to spy on my wife’s WhatsApp,mails and every text message that was sent to her iPhone and every deleted messages of the past six months you can message him through this number (+13852501115) or contact him via email at brillianthackers800@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was so anxiuos to know what my husband was always doing late outside the house so i started contacting hackers and was scamed severly until i almost gave up then i contacted this one hacker and he delivered a good job showing evidences i needed from the apps on his phone like whatsapp,facebook,instagram and others and i went ahead to file my divorce papers with the evidences i got,He also went ahead to get me back some of my lost money i sent to those other fake hackers,every dollar i spent on these jobs was worth it.Contact him so he also help you.
    mail: premiumhackservices@gmail.com
    text or call +1 4016006790

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are fast and direct private lenders, We offer all types of loans at
    2% contact us at: info.wiretransferloans@gmail.com Or via Whatsapp
    Number +13177490147 for more info.

    ReplyDelete
  6. INSTANT AFFORDABLE PERSONAL/BUSINESS/HOME/INVESTMENT LOAN OFFER WITHOUT COST/STRESS CONTACT US TODAY VIA Whatsapp +19292227023 Email drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com

    We are financial consultants providing reliable loans to individuals and funding for business, home and projects start up. Are you tired of seeking loans or are you in any financial mess. Do you have a low credit score, and you will find it difficult to get loans from banks and other financial institutions? then worry no more for we are the solution to your financial misfortune. we offer all types of loan ranging from $5,000.00 to $533,000,000.00USD with a low interest rate of 2% and loan duration of 1 to 35 years to pay back the loan secure and unsecured. Are you losing sleep at nights worrying how to get a Legit Loan Lender? Contact us via Whatsapp +19292227023 Email drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com

    Share this to help a soul right now, Thanks

    ReplyDelete